At The Karma Studio, we provide a number of different types of massage, from deep tissue to remedial to pregnancy massage. The techniques of Swedish massage however underpin most of these types. The order in which each technique is used is of utmost importance. But what are they, in a nutshell?
(1) Effleurage: long sweeping strokes of alternating pressure are applied to the respective part of the body.
(2) Petrissage: kneading of the muscles to attain deeper massage penetration.
(3) Tapotement or Rhythmic Tapping: use of fists or cupped hands to release tension and relax the muscles.
(4) Friction: rubbing of the skin of the person being massaged or vigorous rubbing together of the therapist’s hands to create heat, which are then applied to the body.
(5) Vibration or shaking: a back and forth action of the fingertips or heel of the hand over the skin to loosen the muscles beneath.